Giardia is a simple, single-celled parasite that can cause illness and diarrhoea in both animals and humans, known as giardiasis. Giardiasis can result in diarrhoea, vomiting, weight loss, watery stools and can be dangerous for dogs, cats and humans who are immune compromised.
It is wise to test for giardia if you have:
- Young puppies and kittens
- Older dogs and cats
- Dogs or cats undergoing treatment which lowers their immunity
- Or if you or a family member has HIV/AIDS, cancer, is undergoing chemotherapy or has other illness which compromises the immune system
Because giardia is spread through faeces, it's wise to test dogs and cats every 2-3 months. Please read our blog for a more comprehensive explanation, including symptoms, treatments and more about the test.
This is a home testing kit:
- Simple and easy to do with full instructions
- Get the results in 5-10 minutes
- It's a standard veterinary test
- Take it with you to the vet if you get a positive result
- No need to post to the lab
What's in the kit?
- Full instructions
- A rapid test cassette
How does it work?
- Collect a sample of your dog's faeces
- Place the swab containing the faeces into the buffer tube and stir thoroughly
- Open the cassette and position it on a flat, clean surface
- Use the pipette to collect a sample of the buffer/specimen
- Drip 4 drops of the mixture into the specimen well on the cassette. Start the timer
- Results are read between 10-15 mins.